We’ve surely all been in the situation where, three hours into a long coach journey, we reach into our hand luggage to pull something out – whether it’s a snack, a book or a jumper – only to realise that we accidentally packed it in our main suitcase, which is now safely tucked away in the undercarriage storage compartment. While your coach driver will make a refreshment stop along the way, you still might not be able to get to your luggage, so your misplaced personal item could have to stay under the coach for the duration of the journey.
You can, of course, pick up a bite to eat during one of your scheduled coach stops, adjust the air conditioning over your seat, or take advantage of the entertainment facilities on the coach, but it’s much better to have your own possessions with you when you want them!
Hand luggage is anything that can be stored in an overhead compartment or under your seat. This is the place to put everything you could possibly need on your journey. Take your time when you pack, as it’s always the items you miss out that you end up wanting!
So, with that in mind, here are just some of the things you should pack in your hand luggage.
- Coach ticket: It’s so obvious that many people forget it! Make sure your coach ticket is in your hand luggage.
- Cash: You should always travel with a bit of cash on you, in case you need to urgently use a pay phone, for example, or buy some food from a place that cannot take card.
- Water: Having plenty of water available will mean you feel fresh and hydrated on your journey. For particularly long trips, it’s always worth packing a few bottles.
- Snacks: You’ll always have the opportunity to stop off to get some lunch during your coach journey, but it’s a good idea to have snacks to hand in case you get peckish.
- Chargers: Even if your mobile, laptop or iPod says it’s fully charged when you leave, there’s always a chance that it might run out of battery on the journey. Our coaches have plug sockets in the seats, making it easy to charge your electrical items.
- Cosy clothes: As you’re sitting still for a length of time, you might find that you get a bit chilly, so you should have some comfy socks and a warm jumper available.
- Something to do: It’s always a good idea to pack an activity like a book, notepad or game in your hand luggage to keep boredom at bay!
- Wipes/hand sanitiser: Being able to freshen yourself up with face wipes or hand sanitiser can make you feel cleaner and more alert.
To find out more about how we can help you make your coach journey as comfortable as possible, contact us at Mayday Travel today.