The humble bus, or coach, has been part of British life for decades. From the days when we clambered onto the school bus together, the camaraderie of coach travel is cemented into our early years. As you got older, you probably experienced many school trips to theme parks and museums, bundled onto a coach with your teacher.
You’d be forgiven for thinking that coach trips have died down in popularity since air travel became cheaper, but that’s not the case at all. In fact, the basic coach has been supercharged and upgraded into a new form of luxury holiday transport.
Coach trips were a popular way to get to coastal destinations in the 1960s, and it was common to see entire families hopping aboard together. At that time, cars were not common, so the coach was the only solution for families seeking seaside holidays.
This trend for using coaches started after the war, when transport ceased to be a functional solution and began to gain new ground in the tourism industry. Everyone would look forward to an exciting journey on the coach, which became part of the holiday itself. On the way back, the kids could catch up on their sleep as the adults unwound together.
The same people who enjoyed those early coach holidays have continued to book coach trips in later years. Yesterday’s kids are today’s senior citizens, and coach travel has remained a popular way for this age group to get away.
Nowadays, we’re seeing the average age of passengers fall again, spurred on by an increase in the number of people holidaying at home. With the recent heat wave, and rising cost of holidays outside term time, it’s no wonder people are trying to economise.
Why the Big Resurgence?
So why are so many people reliving childhood memories and getting to the coast by coach?
- It’s affordable, so the whole family can go together – including grandma and granddad
- Comfort is built in as standard, with airline-style reclining seats
- It’s convenient; we don’t set off at 4am, unlike cheap budget flights
- Everyone gets to enjoy the scenery and excitement on the way
- It’s hassle-free, since there’s no waiting around for hours just to board
- There’s no traffic to tackle, and no fuel to pay for
- It’s peaceful; if you want to get a quick nap, we won’t wake you all the way with announcements
- Modern coaches have everything you need, including a rest room and air conditioning
- You don’t have to worry about maps, roadworks or your car breaking down
- There’s lots of room for luggage under the coach
Unlike old-fashioned coaches, today’s luxury coaches have seatbelts. This sounds like a small thing, but it’s an important upgrade that keeps everybody safe en-route.
Take the Coach with Mayday Travel
If it’s been a while since you’ve taken a coach trip, you might be surprised just how much has changed. Hop aboard with us and take a trip to the seaside, or a longer excursion to northern Europe. Our luxury fleet of vehicles will help you relive those treasured memories of family outings and school trips, while ensuring the whole family is safe and secure all the way.